KKL-JNF - For a Sustainable Future for Israel
From its very beginning, Keren Kayemeth LeIsrael - Jewish National Fund led an unprecedented forestry project, which transformed a desolate land into a marvelous green country. Over 240 million trees were planted throughout the years in order to make this miracle happen.
Furthermore, KKL-JNF is leading the quest for a more environmental Israel; creating open spaces, forests and recreation areas – all in appreciation for our natural and cultural heritage.
KKL- JNF's work in Israel is concentrated into six action areas that include water, forestry and environment, education, community development and security, tourism and recreation, and research and development.
KKL-JNF plants and maintains over 240 million saplings and manages more than 100 thousand acres of natural woodland. Israel is the only country that entered the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees.
Water for Israel
- KKL-JNF has helped build over 220 reservoirs and dams that together provide 40% of the water used in Israeli agriculture, and contribute 300 million cubic meters to Israel’s water storage capacity.
• Freshwater reservoirs play a role in irrigation, fish breeding, and recreation and help replenish Israel's depleted aquifers.
• Recycled wastewater reservoirs free precious freshwater while preventing groundwater pollution.
- KKL-JNF and other national institutions work together to clean Israel's streams, springs and rivers, and to develop their potential as a natural and scenic resource for the benefit of the public.
- KKL-JNF prevents erosion and desertification by repairing flood damage and regulating drainage.
- Applying Advanced Environmental Water Purification Techniques – the challenges of Israel's water crisis are being met with KKL-JNF projects such as constructed wetlands and environmentally friendly biofilter technology.
Read more about Water for Israel
Forestry and Environment
- KKL-JNF is responsible for over 375,000 acres (150,000 ha) of forests and woodlands.
- KKL-JNF forests and woodlands:
• combat desertification
• improve carbon balance in the environment
• mitigate climate change
• create "green lungs" within and around communities
• enhance biodiversity
• improve quality of life
- KKL-JNF develops biospheric parks, which serve as the ultimate integration of people and their environment.
- KKL-JNF staff are on guard 24 hours a day, preventing wildfires in forests and woodlands, using fire watchtowers and the latest firefighting equipment.
- KKL-JNF implements the latest research in rehabilitating areas damaged by wildfires.
- KKL-JNF prevents desertification through savannization, the most environmentally sound method of desert afforestation.
- KKL-JNF fights soil erosion and land degradation which threaten fragile desert ecosystems.
- KKL-JNF creates desert parks, drawing people to the desert by creating the ideal combination: desert landscapes and recreation.
- KKL-JNF shares its expertise and experience with many other countries, in the fields of soil conservation, desertification, afforestation, water economy and sustainable agriculture.
Read more about Forestry and Ecology
- KKL-JNF educates thousands of young people in Israel and abroad, helping them forge an everlasting bond with the Land of Israel.
- Field and Forest Educational Centers (FFEC) and Environmental Activities for Youth and People with Special Needs – spending time at a FFEC is a fun way for children and youth from Israel and abroad to experience the KKL-JNF forest environment. Our inclusive environmental activities help strengthen the bond between people and the land. KKL-JNF also develops school infrastructures and landscapes school grounds.
- Education for Immigrant Students & Peripheral Communities (MAOF) – "MAOF”, the Hebrew word for vision, is the acronym for KKL-JNF’s innovative environmental program aimed at new immigrant students and peripheral communities. KKL-JNF does its best to ensure that no one is left out – wherever they live and whatever their financial situation.
- The Recycling Educational Center at the Duda'im Landfill is the prototype of others like it; a model of solid waste management and an innovative example of a hands-on ecological education experience.
- KKL-JNF museums educate the public about the history of KKL-JNF and the development of the State of Israel.
- KKL-JNF is involved in school education programs and summer activities in Israel and the Diaspora.
- Forest Service Centers – KKL-JNF provides visitors to its forests with necessary services: information, food and restrooms.
- The Blue Box - The values symbolized by the iconic Blue Box, synonymous with KKL-JNF and the bond between the Jewish people and their land, are perpetuated over the generations through our many activities.
- Reaching out to the public: Israel Friends of KKL-JNF; the KKL-JNF website; "Green Israel" section in the Jerusalem Post; public events at KKL-JNF sites, and nature activities for the whole family.
Read more about Youth and Education
- KKL-JNF creates recreation sites, agricultural infrastructure and revenue-generating tourism facilities.
- KKL-JNF has redeemed over 700,000 acres (280,000 ha) of land for developing communities, and over 250,000 acres (100,000 ha) for farming in 1000 rural communities. KKL-JNF uses the latest soil conservation methods to create rich, fertile soil, perfect for producing the highest-quality crops.
- KKL-JNF has built 7000 kilometers worth of security and agricultural roads to outlying and border communities. The secure roads we forge improve safety and security so that farmers can work in peace and children can go safely to school.
- KKL-JNF builds new communities and expands existing ones, which attract young people to live and work there, bringing a much-needed vibrancy to Israel's periphery.
- KKL-JNF builds soldier-family meeting points so that IDF soldiers can relax with their families.
- KKL-JNF develops parks that make a difference in urban and peripheral communities. Many of them are wheelchair accessible, in order to provide the best recreational opportunities for one and all.
- Whether you like to walk, run or cycle, KKL-JNF's pedestrian and bicycle trails give you the best routes in nature and near home, and are fun, healthy and good for the environment.
- Community forests bring nature into the city, improve health and contribute to the community’s social fabric. Together with KKL-JNF, residents create and take care of facilities for recreation and leisure in forests near their homes.
Read more about People and Environment
Tourism and Recreation
- KKL-JNF has created thousands of parks, forests and recreation areas, which are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, preserving Israel's beauty and natural resources for future generations.
- KKL-JNF forests are home to a myriad of activities, from cycling to hiking; from a leisurely picnic to a brisk jog in the woods, or holding an outdoor leadership seminar.
- KKL-JNF is working to make all existing parks and facilities in Israel suitable for people with special needs, so that families and friends can enjoy nature together.
- KKL-JNF maintains scenic roads on which you can drive through some of the most beautiful and varied scenery in Israel, with lookout points along the way.
- KKL-JNF has created numerous walking and bicycle trails to enable people to explore KKL-JNF's forests, while taking a healthy walk or bike ride.
- KKL-JNF protect Natural sites where a plethora of Israel's amazing wildflowers grow for the enjoyment of all.
- Birdwatching in special sites, from Eilat to the Hula Valley, are best experienced with KKL-JNF.
- KKL-JNF plays a key role in restoring historical and archaeological sites in Israel.
- KKL-JNF organizes events and tours for the public throughout the year.
Read more about Tourism and Recreation
Research and Development
- KKL-JNF helps Israel maintain an agricultural and economic edge by funding foundational and applied research.
- KKL-JNF is partner to research in the fields forestry, watershed management, carbon sequestration, alternative energy sources, animal and plant reintroduction, arid land management problems, and heritage & history.
- KKL-JNF trains professional foresters and supports agricultural research, working together with academic institutions in Israel and abroad for the benefit of people and the environment.
- KKL-JNF R&D stations around Israel apply scientific research for the improvement of agriculture.
- KKL-JNF supports and implements Research & Development projects with global implications, and shares its knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world.
- KKL-JNF has a major impact on the Israeli economy by helping to create employment opportunities in agriculture, and developing the export capacity of fresh produce, fish and flowers.
Read more about Research and Develpoment